
Who knew that I would get so into a historical non-fiction book? I love learning about history, but the books I've read have never been such page turners. I couldn't put this book down. It takes place during the planning, building and excitement of the Chicago world fair. It chronicles the lives of two men during this exciting time in Chicago's history; Daniel Burnham, the architect of the spectacular fair, and H. H. Holmes, a psychopathic murderer who preyed on women.
I was dazzled with the historical aspect of how the whole fair got put together. I was so interested in the new innovations at that time, such as a way to provide clean drinking water, powering the whole fair with electricity, and the invention of the Ferris Wheel. The building of the fair reminded me a lot of when Salt Lake got the 2002 Winter Olympics. I could imagine the same fervor and excitement that existed in 2002 and the preceding years building up to it, as the same as what happened in 1893.
Holmes was one of the scariest murderers I've read about and I think that's mostly because it's a true story. I couldn't believe how people around him trusted him and thought he was such a wonderful man. Only a few people wrote about having a weird feeling around him. He built a creepy hotel and business, for which he bought everything on credit and never paid back. The people who visited his hotel and those who lived there, actually liked Holmes. The man lied so easily and people trusted him so readily that it took a long time before suspicion fell upon him.
I highly recommend this book to anyone. You don't have to love history to enjoy this book. The author writes so well that you can't help but fall in love with the story.
*Have you read this book? What did you think about it?
2 comments:
I haven't read it, but I want to! May I borrow your copy or did you borrow it from someone else?
Hey, I borrowed it from my mother in law, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you read it. I'll bring it to play group.
Post a Comment