Saturday, February 23, 2008

Reading

While watching the Today show the other day I saw a statistic that made me sad. It said that 40% of people under the age of 44 did not read a SINGLE book, fiction or nonfiction, last year. I thought that was absolutely crazy. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I weren't a reader. I love to get lost in a story, or learn of some historical event, or some far off place through a good book.
I know there are a lot of people out there who don't enjoy reading. Is it because, perhaps, they don't really do it right? Maybe they don't allow themselves to get lost in the pages, but instead are bogged down by unfamiliar words, or ideas that they just can't connect with.
As a teacher, I am concerned because reading doesn't seem to be a high priority among my students or their parents. As a parent, I am wondering about things I can do to increase reader enjoyment? I have a few ideas...make sure our kids see us reading, have plenty of interesting books around the house (if you can't afford them, there's always the library), don't make reading a punishment or hassle, let it be seen as a thing for fun, etc.
What are your ideas? What do you think about people choosing not to read? I'd love to hear your ideas.
I'd just like to say one thing to non-readers, in the words of Anne of Green Gables, "How much you miss!"

1 comment:

rach said...

are people too busy? are people too illiterate? I personally have to guess that the culprit is TV! that might sound cliche, but I really think that the time people used to spend reading is now spent watching Deal or No Deal and The Biggest Loser. Sad, but true. It's easier to watch TV than read a book.