
Ok, I know I said that this was the April book, and here we are in May, but let's just pretend that I'm not such a procrastinating slow poke.
It has been a while since I read this book and many of the details have left me. So, I decided to check out what other people thought about it on Goodreads. I realized that you either love this book or you hate it. There's no in between. I actually really liked it. I loved the sibling relationships, especially that of Rube and Swede. In fact, I absolutely loved Swede. I loved reading the excerpts of her Western story and thought that the parallels between her hero and villain to her older brother Davy's experience breathtaking. I truly loved how Enger wrote this book. I did think the miracles performed by the father were a bit hard to believe, and I believe in miracles, go figure. Anyway, there's a lot more I could say about this book, but I'll stop here since it's late and I don't have the book in front of me. What did you think?
3 comments:
I read this book a few years ago and can't remember the entire story. However, I do recall that I liked the author's writing style and I enjoyed the entire book. I should read it again.
This is one of my favorite books. I think you are right-- you either love it or hate it.
What I like most about this book is that it shows that spiritual experience and miracles from God are not just limited to LDS people. I think that sometimes LDS people forget that God speaks to other people of faith too. That he hears their prayers and performs miracles for them. That people not of the LDS faith still receive revelation and direction.
I know what you mean about the miracles being a little hard to believe-- but aren't all miracles? Would it really be a miracle if it wasn't hard to believe?
I love the father character in this book. I love his faith and his ability to be led by the hand of God. I especially love how his son overhears him talking "arguing" with God. Every time I read this book I am always inspired to change the way I pray. I like this book because it inspires me to have more faith and to be a better person.
I think you're right, Heather, about the miracles. They were fantastic, but I do like to think that about the fact that miracles can happen to anyone, anywhere. I loved what happened with the father and the tornado. What an exciting experience to read about.
Post a Comment