
Ah yes, I am FINALLY getting around to writing about our MAY book club book. I actually finished it a while ago, and I have been thinking about it ever since.
It is about a woman, Sue, who leads a frazzled and busy life. One day she sees a quilt made by the Amish and is struck by the simplicity, yet ultimate beauty of the pattern. She then documents her journey to live with two different Amish families and how she struggles to calm that frenzy inside herself.
I really enjoyed the book. I thought it was thought provoking and touching, and even funny at times (I loved how she couldn't stand how the first family ate, pure carbs and junk). I kept drawing comparisons between what she wrote about the Amish traditions and beliefs, to that of my own LDS religion. There is not a whole lot similar between the religions (except the fact that both are Christian beliefs), but I was struck with the similarities of being a "peculiar people" and having outsiders struggle to understand my beliefs. I know I am not conveying this as well as I could. It was more feelings that I struggle to put into words.
The book focuses mostly on Sue's journey. She learns to take joy in all the small, day-to-day parts of life. I thought this was interesting. How often do I try to quickly get through the house work and chores in order to have time for fun later? Sue realized that the Amish took joy in everything they did. It was all truly a labor of love. I'm not sure how much Sue changed. She still seemed to be frazzled by the end of the book (though it would be hard to completely change your habits and views from two short visits with an Amish family), but I think she learned some new ways to look at life.
I liked this book. I would recommend it to others for a quick, and insightful read. Thanks Rach for recommending this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment