I decided to write about these books together, only because I read them back-to-back, and they both take place during WWII. Other than that, they don't have too much in common.

This book takes place in France, where an older woman flashes back on memories from her troubled childhood. It focuses on her relationship with her stern, and headache stricken mother, her older siblings, and a young Nazi officer. I found that I enjoyed the older woman much better than the little girl, who seemed to be quite conniving and selfish. I liked the story and would recommend it to any searching for a beautifully written book.

I enjoyed
The Book Thief much more than the previous book. It takes place in Nazi Germany and is narrated by Death. Death tells Leisel's story based on her writings that he picks up along his many journeys to her hometown. Leisel is given up for Foster Care and finds she truly loves her foster parents, especially papa. He teaches her to read, and they hide and care for a Jew in their basement. This was such a compelling story, that I could not put it down. It is a very sad story, but also one about survival and understanding what is most important in life. I would definitely recommend this book!
1 comment:
I picked up the Book Thief last spring and still haven't gotten to it. I will read it this fall. I keep hearing great things about it and I'm really looking forward to digging into it.
Post a Comment