Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Plethora of Children's Books

Now that I have started working again, I find myself only wanting to read children's books. They are, after all, my favorite. The ones I have been reading lately are not light reading, however they have been quick reads and I have loved each of them for different reasons.
I read The Supernaturalist purely because I had taken my students to the library and happened to see it sitting on the shelf. I love Eoin Colfer, so I decided to give it a try. It was no Artemis Fowl, but I did love the story. It takes place in the future where the world relies on a Satellite to run everything. I loved how the author showed what he thought the world would become if we didn't start taking better care of it. It was actually really interesting and really funny.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret takes place in France, in the 1930's. Orphaned Hugo cares for the giant clocks at the train station, and he is also working on an invention that he believes will bring him closer to his deceased father. This is a graphic novel and I thought the illustrations were amazing. I thought the story fell flat at the end, but the pictures and style of the book were intriguing.I have placed A Single Shard on my favorites list. This is a book that I want to read over and over again. It is about a boy in 12th century Korea who learns how to make beautiful pottery, takes a dangerous journey and learns a lot about himself on the way. I loved the beautiful writing and the way in which the character is honest and good. I will be reading this book to my fourth graders near the end of the year.

1 comment:

Okie said...

I only recently read Artemis Fowl and found it to be a lot of fun. I enjoyed Colfer's style. The plot seems oddly similar (though distant enough to not be confused) to the messaging from Wall-E. Sounds fun.

I almost picked up Hugo Cabret a few weeks ago. It looked fun. Sorry to hear that it fell flat, but at least it makes me feel better about not buying it. ;)

As for Shard, I've never even heard of this, but it sounds intriguing.